A Whole-Grain Breakfast Power Bowl to Support Your Immune System
I am trying out different recipes with my Instant Pot ,and this Whole-Grain Breakfast Power Bowl was inspired by Maryea Flaherty's "I love my Instant Pot Anti-Inflammatory Diet Recipe Book."
- ½ cup red quinoa, rinsed (I used Quinoa Royal by Go go Quinoa)
- ⅓ cup certified gluten-free rolled oats (Only Oats)
- ⅓ cup wild rice, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons Chia seeds
- 4 tablespoons Hemp Hearts
- ¼ cup raisins or dried cranberries
- ¼ cup chopped dried apricots
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon, powder
- ¼ teaspoon ginger, powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2½ cups almond milk
- 1½ cups water
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup (optional)
- Fruit of choice
- Cashews (optional)
- Press the Sauté button and adjust time to 2 minutes; sauté chia and hemp seeds in olive oil.
- Add quinoa, oats, rice, raisins, dried apricot, cinnamon, ginger, salt, almond milk, and water. Stir and mix all ingredients. Secure the lid and move pressure release valve to Sealing position
- Press the Pressure Cook button at high pressure and adjust the time to 8 minutes.
- When the timer beeps, use natural release. Remove bowl from pot. Mix well. Serve with additional almond milk, raisins, maple syrup and cashews if desired.
Last week, I mentioned in my blog post Supporting Your Immune System When You Are Immunocompromised: COVID-19 Edition that my toddler boy was in close contact with his daycare provider, who tested positive for COVID-19. Luckily, everyone in my family tested negative this week, Yay! I try to keep using supplements to the bare minimum, albeit they are essential in certain circumstances. Here is a simple recipe that can support your immune system with plant-based ingredients: I am trying out different recipes with my Instant Pot , and this Whole-Grain Breakfast Power Bowl was inspired by Maryea Flaherty's "I love my Instant Pot Anti-Inflammatory Diet Recipe Book." Please don't feel overwhelmed by the list of ingredients; you probably have many of them in your pantry already!
- Use a fine-mesh strainer, and rinse the quinoa until the water runs clear. Quinoa has a slightly bitter taste; rinsing it with water can reduce the flavour.
- Double up and make a batch of this breakfast bowl. Divide it into mason jars or BPA free plastic containers for the week ahead. You will have a power breakfast every day. Add favourite toppings.
- Use a plant-based beverage of your choice (coconut, nuts, hemp). Make sure it is fortified with calcium and vitamin D.
- You may add a tablespoon of hemp hearts to each serving to boost the protein and fibre.
- Cooking on the stove:
- Sauté hemp hearts and chia seeds in olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat for about 2 minutes. Add all the ingredients and mix well. Cook for about 10 - 14 minutes, until the grains are softened and cooked
- Instant Pot basics: check out their website for resources and recipes.
- Remember to always speak with your healthcare provider or a Registered Dietitian if you are considering any change in your diet.